Sunday, January 6, 2013

Christology in context and in crisis


Christology is the pursuit to understand and reclaim the person, pneumatology, and purpose of Jesus as a messianic device. The idea of Jesus as a messianic device is important as a deus ex machina of the anthropological snare of substitutionary atonement. This atonement type suggests that Jesus serves as a replacement /substitute for sinful fallen man.   Jesus takes not only place But bears the weight of sin in the stead of humanity.
     Christology in this light places Jesus as the ultimate foil to sin and sinfulness. Jesus us the ultimate foil because he is man enough to feel and yet God enough to heal. Jesus is the ultimate foil because he is man enough to see and yet God enough to save. He is the ultimate foil because he is man enough to suffer and yet God enough to suffice.  Jesus is deus ex machina ,or God in the machine.  Jesus solves the problem that was too big too bold and too bad for us to solve alone. Jesus is the answer to the unsolvable problem that rest in the fabric of man.
     The problem is how can a holy God love sinful man? This problem is solved through the reconciliation of man through Jesus Christ unto God.  Jesus exchanges and interposes himself for us in order to transform us.  The enemy of freedom is defeated not through violence but through sacrificial love.  Jesus becomes that which we cannot bear to birth that which we must become. James Allison calls this sacrificial love the exposition of violence.
     But what happens when we subvert the identity of Jesus? What happens when we live in a culture where everybody is ok?  What happens when Jesus is reduced to a motivational marionette? We reduce his life to cannon fodder in context and catastrophe in praxis. We preach the gospel as if we are theological snake oil salesmen pushing an existential experience that makes us feel good but rarely causes us to actually be good.   This experience can’t be stamped with the label of worship because nothing is surrendered. Worship will cost you but playing worship will exhaust you.   We play musical chairs with membership moving our affiliation when we lose that special feeling. We fall in and out of love with preachers like newly minted American idol contestants.  And we drop doctrines faster Kim drop Kris only to get Kanye.
  
    This is not to say that church should be boring or dry.   I like engaging preaching, the rhythm and artistry captured in the exchange between preacher and congregation. But I am not a fan of life coaches, motivational Muppets or prophets for profit.  Preach a word if you’re gonna preach, I don't need the first three chapters of from "Good to Great", can do without delusional relationship advice from people who have no empirical data, oh and miss me with the thinking like a man. We have hustled the Gospel of Jesus Christ unto no end.  In our attempt to make Christ fit culture we have lost the revelation that Christ recreates culture. Jesus takes a blind man that found himself on the fringes of society and re-introduces him, not as a seeing blind man, but as an avatar for liberation through revelation. The blind man sees clearly but his first vision is Jesus. The sighted blind man cannot return to nomenclature because the blind man who now sees, understands what the modern reader misses, Christ is not a captive to the rules of the machine he is the key to escape the machine.  Christ does not twist and cajole himself to the pressures of culture he reaches into culture and reworks what culture could be.
          Christology is in crisis because “give me Jesus” no longer satiates the pallets of his followers. And why should it when we replace Jesus with “mo money mo money mo money”?   Christology is in crisis because instead of looking for a savior we don’t even think we need to be saved. And if we don’t need to be saved surely we don’t need to be led. And if we don’t need to be led than what exactly are we following?   The never ending cycle of self-satisfaction tells us that if we buy more we will love ourselves more and if I can just love me more than I will have the solution.  If I can just do more for myself I can finally be happy because I am the problem, oh but im also the solution.   Just one more pay raise will get me ten thousand square feet so I can put all those people who keep taking my happiness from me , on the other side of the house. Just one more car and then everybody can know im successful.  Just one more surgery and I can finally be happy with my face. Just one more relationship and all of my loneliness will just float away.  The solution for all of our ontological tension, I am happy to say, is just do more for you. Thousands of years of philosophical musings and thought for what marketers can show you in a thirty second infomercial.  
          My friends you are not the solution. Sorry! it pissed me off when I discovered that I am not the solution either. I so wanted to be the solution. I needed to be the solution. I dream at night about walking up to my problem and giving it a dragon upper cut (google it) just demolishing my problems because I’m the solution. I would be an awesome solution. (A guy has to dream)  It exhausts me to no end to keep digging inside myself for solutions that don’t answer my questions. The end of all my digging just creates more desperation, wanting and anxiety.     Where is Jesus ? Why can’t we see him ? Why won’t he heal us if he is here? We can’t see him because Jesus comes to give we follow him, but we come to take.  Jesus is not found in the act of taking in life he is found in the act of giving.  He gives his life away and we reduce his sacrifice to pitiful paltry punch line preaching. Jesus asks his disciples to give up everything and follow him but what does it cost to follow Jesus today?   Does it cost everything to follow Jesus today? Today is cost even more to follow Jesus because you have to actually try. Putting forth effort is so 1993.
          Please do not sell your cars, houses, or cash out your 401k and move to Middle America with a commune where you sell jam on the road side.  But learn your neighbor’s names. Don’t take to the streets with bullhorn telling people to repent for the “end is nigh”. Do take the time to say hello to people you pass in your goings and comings.  Don’t pull a “seven pounds” and donate all your organs while you are still using them. Do hold your neighbors hands. Don’t stop celebrating holidays cause now your too holy. Do celebrate every day because Now you serve a Holy God.  Don’t get all mystical and spooky, that’s just weird. Do talk to people, I mean really stop and talk, yes I mean those uncomfortable talks that exhaust you.  Give your life away.  Yes it’s uncomfortable, yes it’s exhausting, yes it’s a pain. But when you give a hug you get a hug. With each act of kindness we reclaim a little more of the face of Christ put enough acts together and we see him clearly to love him dearly. With each act of giving we see that God is not pulling a biosphere standing over us looking on our condition but doing nothing to help. God is deus ex machina , inside the machine with us pushing and pulling us. So give a little bit, but you know that might hurt a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment